|The Chester County Independent 148 Years of dedication to the community|
Established in 1865, the Chester County Independent is one on the oldest continually run business in the Chester County. Know first as the Madison County Herald, the newspaper quickly transformed when a new county was formed from portions of Madison, Henderson, McNairy and Hardeman counties in 1875. Chester County, as it would be named, became the last of the state’s 95 counties to be established.
During the next 41 years, the publication went through several name changes before becoming known as the Chester County Independent in 1916.
The Chester County Independent had been located at the Farm Bureau Office, Front Street, South Washington and North Franklin before finding a home at 218 South Church Street in Henderson.
From its 1865 birth to 1941, the newspaper had many owners. On Oct. 1, 1941, George H. Johnston bought the publication from H.B. Davenport, who had owned the paper previously in the late 1930s. Johnston owned the paper until June 1, 1946, when T.D Pace purchased the Independent.
Pace owned the newspaper 19 years until H.F. “Woodie” Whaley, who formerly served as general manager of the Weakly County Press in Martin, became the sole owner on June 1, 1965.
The Whaley family owned the paper until 1998 selling the publication to the Albright family. In 2006 the paper was sold to American Hometown Publishing who currently owns the paper.