Recently the Tipton County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division conducted compliance checks for businesses who sell beer in the County. Investigators conducted the compliance checks on multiple occasions resulting in 10 citations being issued for the sale of beer to minors. The clerk’s cited were:
• Sania Craig (2 counts) at Turnage Grocery located at 14302 Highway 59 West
• Laureen Cariota (2 counts) at Turnage Grocery located at 14302 Highway 59 West
• Taylor Crume (2 counts) at Midway I located at 6213 Highway 59 South
• Mickey Crafford, Jr at BJ’s Convenient Store located at 4624 Drummonds Road
• Nagi Aldaiani (3 counts) at Connie’s Convenient Store located at 3476 Wilkinsville Road
• Sulton Althaibani (2 counts) at Sal’s Spot located at 3523 Wilkinsville Road
• Stacey Helton at Gilt Edge Express located at 10816 Holly Grove Road
• Brandy Yanov at Bucksnort Grocery located at 3392 Highway 59 West
• Yvonne Elting (2 counts) at Bucksnort Grocery located at 3392 Highway 59 West
• Natalie Thurner (2 counts) at Fastimes located at Highway 14 at Atoka-Idaville Road
During the operation, undercover agents entered the stores, presented their Tennessee license as identification indicating they were under 21 years of age. The clerks took the identifications, then returned the identifications and proceeded to sell the minors the beer. The clerks were charged with Prohibited Acts of Unlawful Sales to Minors for each violation (multiple counts) and are slated to appear in Tipton County General Sessions Court on July 15.
“We have multiple complaints and investigations related to underage drinking and wanted to address the underlying issue of the illegal sales of beer to minors. We have partnered, along with other Tipton County law enforcement agencies, with the Tipton County Anti-Drug Coalition in educating business owners of the laws regulating beer and tobacco sales and made training for the employees available in Tipton County for store owners.” Said Sheriff J.T. “Pancho Chumley. “Our goal is to reduce alcohol related motor vehicle crashes and incidents related to minors consumption of alcohol. Historically these investigations increase in the summer months and prevention of the illegal sales will help to protect our youth.”
During the operation, investigators confirmed two businesses to be in compliance and did not sell beer to the undercover agents. The businesses were 59 Express located at 7140 Highway 59W and BP located at 3795 Drummonds Road.
“I want to commend these businesses for being in compliance. The clerks actually checked the identifications and denied selling the beer to the agents. We will continue to conduct these type of operations throughout the summer to prevent the prohibited sales of alcohol to those customers under the age of 21.”
If anyone has information of underage sell of beer to minors, please call the Criminal Investigations Division at 901-475-3300, Central Dispatch after hours at 901-475-4300, phone in tips at 901-475-3307, email tips to Sheriff@tiptonco.com or Facebook Sheriff J.T. Pancho Chumley.”