Dorothy Robinson is stressed out.
"I don't know where to go or where to turn or what to do. I'm not getting any help whatsoever from the management at Covington Village," she said Tuesday, three days after losing her apartment to a fire.
On Saturday, her building went up in flames after food was left unattended on a stove.
Though she rarely leaves her apartment, the disabled grandmother said she and a friend had traveled to a nearby store and were on their way back when they saw the flames.
"I said, 'Something's on fire,' then I realized it was my building."
She wasn't able to retrieve any of her belongings and her beloved cat was still inside.
"The only thing I was concerned about was my cat; anything that was in the apartment could be replaced, but she was my baby."
Her baby – a nearly year-old tabby – was later found in the closet. She was soaking wet and cold, but alive.
As for the rest of Robinson's belongings, everything she owns now amounts to a few dozen family photos.
The American Red Cross paid for Robinson and several of her neighbors to stay in a motel Saturday and Sunday nights, and Monday she moved in with her son and daughter-in-law, Misty.
Apartment managers say they're doing what they can to help displaced residents. They plan to distribute vouchers that will allow them to move into other apartments while their building is being rebuilt, but Robinson said that wasn't an option for her.
"They wanted to put me in an apartment for $385 per month, a two bedroom, and pay $385 which I can't afford on a fixed income."
For now, she remains essentially homeless until she can figure out a next step.
Her rent – as well as the rent paid by the seven other families displaced – is expected to be credited back to her.